Iran war: Vessel traffic grounds to near halt
Commercial vessel navigation in Middle East waters continues to slump as more vessels come under drone attacks.
IMAGE: Getty Images
Maritime operators are growing increasingly sceptical in navigating crucial commodity chokepoints, like the Strait of Hormuz and the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, as merchant vessels reverse course, paralysed by worsening security hazards and Tehran's assertion of authority over the waterway.
The movement of commercial ships in the region has slumped, with only 15 crossings recorded on Tuesday, according to market intelligence reporter Windward. Six tankers went into the waterway, according to the data, and nine exited it.
Two Chinese very large crude carriers (VLCCs) took U-turns in the Strait of Hormuz earlier this week, currently drifting aimlessly in the region, Bloomberg reported.
While Washington maintains that the Strait of Hormuz is fully operational, Tehran has aggressively countered that the waterway is firmly shut.
Hostilities in Bab al-Mandeb continue
More vessels have come under air assaults in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, according to reports.
Spurred by Yemen’s Houthi threats against Saudi-linked shipping, the Bab al-Mandeb Strait connecting the Red Sea and Arabian Sea has erupted into a new theatre for maritime attacks.
Earlier this week, a cargo vessel was struck by multiple unknown projectiles, about 40 nautical miles southeast of Al Mukha, Yemen, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency reported.
“The damage has resulted in a complete constructive loss,” the agency said.
Like the Strait of Hormuz, the Bab al-Mandeb Strait is also a highly crucial gateway to the Red Sea, overlooking Hodeidah and the Gulf of Aden. It carries about 7% of global seaborne oil flows.
UAE freezes trade with Iran
Abu Dhabi has severed all commercial and financial ties with Tehran, accusing the Iranian regime of launching ballistic missile against its territory.
The UAE's air defence systems detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards the country, the country’s Ministry of Defense said on social media platform X.
One of the missiles fell outside the country’s territorial waters, while the second fell within, the ministry added.
“In light of regional escalations that undermine regional and international peace and security, all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” the UAE’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Tehran has rejected the UAE's claims as “baseless”, denying any involvement or that the projectiles came from Iranian soil.
Adding to the conflict, the UAE-Iran confrontation will intensify the high-stakes US-Iran battle for control of the Strait of Hormuz, which has kept Brent crude’s price on an upward trajectory.
By Aparupa Mazumder
Please get in touch with comments or additional info to news@engine.online





