Geopolitical events, evolving industry regulations and fuel availability are all challenges that bunker buyers must navigate. In this 50 minute webinar, our experts discuss how shipowners and bunker buyers can leverage ENGINE’s historical and live market data to their advantage. Topics covered include:
• Global price trends and how they have impacted bunker purchasing
• How some popular bunkering ports can become less competitive on price
• Bunker fuel quality and why it should influence buying strategies
• How to look up trends and port-specific ENGINE news stories to keep on top of the market, and more
Anton Shamray has been involved in developing ENGINE from the start, building on his experience as a research analyst, bunker buyer and petroleum surveyor. His past projects include developing a bunker pricing algorithm, fuel quality analytics, helping in the IMO2020 transition and improving bunker buying processes, among others.
Journalist and Content Manager Erik Hoffmann writes about the shipping and marine fuel industries and was a Senior Reporter for Argus Media. As the force behind ENGINE’s news desk, Erik’s team reports reliable and timely information about the global bunker markets.
Higher bunker prices are resulting in 50% more claims
The ENGINE analyst desk investigates:
- All-time high bunker prices lead to a sharp increase in bunker claims, surpassing the previous high seen during the IMO2020 transition
- More claims in a high-price environment can result in much higher financial losses
- Higher water content in fuel oil and an increase in VLSFO viscosity seen amid a lack of blending components
With fuel prices experiencing increased volatility in an ever-changing world, how do ship owners best navigate their way around this? Our expert panel engage in a wide-ranging discussion on the oil markets, marine fuel hedging and the various strategies that can be employed to help manage pricing risk. Topics covered during this 45-minute session include:
- Recent trends in the oil markets and an introduction to fuel hedging
- IMO2020 changes, HSFO, VLSFO, and how this has impacted hedging activities
- Practical considerations when it comes to hedging and basis risk
- Views on the effectiveness of hedging and common pitfalls
Our speaking panel consists of global freight and commodity derivatives brokers, Freight Investor Services, leading fuel management services provider Integr8 Fuels, and ENGINE’s in-house experts.